Council tax benefit backdating rules

Rated 3.83/5 based on 927 customer reviews

Some asylum seekers and people who are sponsored to be in the UK, cannot get Council Tax Support. All applicants will be required to provide original documents to confirm the details on the form and prove their identity.

The following list show examples of the documents we will accept: You must complete the council tax support application form [690.34KB] in full, sign it and include evidence to support your claim.

If you have someone over 18 who is sharing your home and:you may be able to claim a rebate for that person.

We do not count your own income and savings for this.

The rules have also been updated so that a claim for Universal Credit can be taken as an initial claim for Council Tax Support. The rules of the Council Tax Support Scheme for those of pension age are statutory and are applied in accordance with legislation. Our previous Council Tax Support scheme for people of working age was introduced on 1 April 2013.

It was based on the old Council Tax Benefit scheme, but with a number of changes: If you have come to the United Kingdom (UK) within 5 years of your claim, this may also affect your entitlement. Do not delay in making a claim or you may lose some Council Tax Support.

Even if you do not have all the evidence asked for on the form return it anyway.You can provide the missing evidence as soon as possible afterwards.If your claim is successful, you will be notified in writing, your council tax bill will be reduced and you will be sent a new one.Ask us to look at your Council Tax Support if you think we are wrong.To do this, write to us saying you want a review of your case and give all your reasons why.

Leave a Reply